Welcome to Reader Meet Author. This is where Nils and Jessica talk about the books they read in 2009.

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Loom Knitting Primer

In the past week I have come across an online loom knitting community. It's completely awesome, because I had never heard of looming until I came across knitting looms at the craft store. I was just walking by and out of the corner of my eye, I saw this circular thing and the package said it was easy, and that I could learn to knit on it. So, I was sold! Seemed easy enough and even better, it was barely an investment.

I picked up Loom Knitting Primer because Phelps seems to be a leader in the loomer community. It's been recommended for its stitch tutorials and full rundown on how to use circular looms and knitting boards. Loom Knitting Primer is a great guide and introduction to the tools, stitches, and terminology of loom knitting. As a beginner, I found Phelps online video tutorials more effective when practicing stitches. The instructional images in the book are helpful, but obviously minimal compared to the free online videos...The book is a great resource if you don't have the Internet handy.

I also have to mention, Phelps could have used more instructional images when creating a flat panel on a circular loom. I say that because it's what I am trying to tackle now. I also feel, as a beginner's guide, instructional images should have been added with the patterns as well. Maybe I just learn better visually or maybe I am just too needy...A slow learner? No, I am just learning something totally new to me on my own. I'll get better at looming. I'll get better because outside Phelps' book, there is small, but large looming community online with other knitters offering their own guides to an ever fast growing obsession with looming. I am glad I caught on.

I am just being hard on Phelps book, because I am looking for the easy way to learn. I am picking it up slowly. Reading it over and over and practicing. I never thought I'd be able to knit anything, but over the past week I've been able to knit a small hat, and it's primarily due to the fact that knitting on a loom is so easy. Knitting a hat is probably the easiest thing to do on a circular loom, but it's an achievement for someone who struggles with knitting needles. Yay! Now, I will get back to reading literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are...

The ones that care.

Visit our blog, play with our dog