Welcome to Reader Meet Author. This is where Nils and Jessica talk about the books they read in 2009.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Dave Eggers' You Shall Know Our Velocity!

Book club choices can be a hit or miss, huh? It's sort of hard to tell if the members of the club are all going to like the book that's chosen for that month. But I guess that's the whole fun of book club. To be apart of the discussion that arises from those who advocate for the author and those who critique. I think what I love most about the book club that I am in is that we are all open minded, constructive, and value one anothers perspectives.

Many in my book club enjoyed You Shall Know Our Velocity!, but some did not. Some of us read it all the way through. One member even had the special edition that debunked the whole story that the rest of us thought was reality. Some of us tried to finish it. Some of us never picked it up. I was one that tried to finish it, but struggled with it because I had no faith in the story.

I read What is the What and that is the only reference of Eggers that I have. And other than what I have heard from friends, I am not too familiar with McSweeney's. I am trying my best not to be negative in this review, because ideally, Velocity! has good intentions. And I wanted to like this novel, because What is the What was so compelling, but I didn't like Velocity! and that's that. It's actually just a sad story about a sad man that goes no where. Right? And then I guess most of the story I read was based on delusions? Ug, I am so confused now. What the hell did I just read?

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are...

The ones that care.

Visit our blog, play with our dog